Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happiness is Smith Mountain in my Rear View Mirror

Well, let’s just say that I am glad that Smith Mountain is in my rear view! It was a pretty rough tournament for me, and I’m really looking forward to getting some better finishes under my belt this season. Smith Mountain was a little off for my style of fishing. I really tried to find a way to catch fish besides bed fishing, and as my finish suggests, that wasn’t the best idea. In hindsight, I spent too much time fishing in practice and not enough time visually searching for beds. From here on out I have a new personal rule in place: If there is even the slightest possibility that an event will be won by sight fishing, I will dedicate practice time towards finding bass on beds.

The first day of the event went alright, but once again I underestimated the weights that were going to be brought in. I was happy to be in the top 50 after the first day, because I thought I could go out and duplicate what I had done on the second day and be alright. However, the second day was slow. Definitely not the finish I was looking for. But now I can’t look back, got to keep looking ahead to what’s next. My priorities have changed, and now I’m focused more on making the classic and less on AOY points.

Now we are at Kentucky Lake for pre-practice. We’re staying in Paris, and it is real nice down here. I have just a little bit of time to unwind before we get cranked back up for the Alabama tournaments. This time in Kentucky is real special for me because I am fishing with my Dad and my son. My parents drove down to spend the week with us in Kentucky, so I am enjoying the time off here. We’re slowly but surely getting the fish figured out here on the lake, and I’ve been catching a few on the old tried and true methiolate floating worm! What a fun way to catch ‘em!

Going along with the theme of staying focused, my goal for the rest of the season is to make five top 30 finishes so I can make it to the classic. The rest of the season should allow me to do that as the lakes should really set up for the way that I like to fish. I’m ready for Pickwick, it should be junk fishing at its finest!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry Brent that SML wasn't good to you this year! We really enjoyed having you at Goodview Baptist on April 10th though! Hope you can come back again!
    Will be praying for you to finish well at the remaining tournaments!
    Joy Hannabass
    Goodview Outdoors Ministry

    ReplyDelete